Saturday, July 23, 2005

Police are coming. They're on the way.

I can cross The Spits off my list of bands to see. I can add a footnote that they were far superior to what I was expecting. I was expecting sloppy, insane, mega-drunk, thrashing punk rock. That element came from the audience. I stuck in the back with my fellas and did my Pink Ladies dance, especially to "Let Us Play Your Party" and "I H8 Pussies", the songs that stole my Spits virginity. Pick up a pretty kick-ass t-shirt and pins for myself and Switchbalde (who got along famously all day, I might add...not a bickering session between us during our entire evening which included dinner AND "Bad News Bears"...if you take away the kissing, he is Kelly Leak and I am Amanda Whurlitzer...the two best Bears of all).

Sean from The Spits got dumped by his girlfriend. He was looking for gals to give affection to. I leaned over to Switch and said, "I could fuck a Spit". I thought Bean would dig that...she likes when I drop F-bombs. That's one quarter for the swear jar.

But every shows has down sides because life just isn't perfect. It was jam-packed so I felt claustrophoic and firey hot. A certain girl on my S-list was there but that only bugged me for a second. The show sold out during the first band so Lybargally, Spink, and...their friend...had to wait outside for a bouncer to feel sympathetic, which eventually came about but just in the nick of time. And it was $10!!! I understand The Spits are from the northwest but the demographic for this show...some missing teeth, some carrying STDs, some not even out of high school...are not the kind to be able to comfortably shell out 10 bones! Plus, on the down side, there was alway the ever-present "my ex-husband and I can NOT talk to one another or I will cry in public or throw a punch" element. It's rough. I miss my friend...I wanted to talk to him...but he wronged me on so many levels. So it was uncomfortable.

Gary offered to tackle him. Gary is so one of my doods now.

Back to my discomfort...instead of going to see Teengenerate and The Reatards where "they" will be, I am going to sell merch for Lords of the Highway in Rochester...where the FUN will be. No drame there. Nothing but friends who don't screw me over and rockin' good times, followed by a Pussyfoot photo shoot tomorrow with the people I adore. So the weekend actually shaped up nicely (not as nicely as NEXT weekend which has me at 2 parties in a ROW...how DO I DO IT!?!?!). I wanted Lybargally to be able to go and he didn't get a ticket because he didn't know how to deal with the Haidet drama. Now he's there. And Switch will be able to see Teengerate without having to worry about if I feel crummy or not. Not that it doesn't sting that he's there with "them".

But I've got so many damn good things going right now...a best friend who is my number one dood, a bunch of other grade-A pals, a job I love, a hobby that rocks, shows to see, shows to be in, the best, if not the goofiest, family to ever roam the planet, and boy prospects that are looking awfully sharp. I will not let this beat me. I will not let him beat me. I will not become the girl no one wants to be around.

Even if sometimes "tough ain't enough".

No comments: