Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Doin' anything you like and takin' it easy is all you ever need to do.

Hey long weekend...you were super awesome and I love you.

THURSDAY

I got some rad news at work so I was in a good mood, despite burying my grandma the day before. It was good to have a distraction. At night, I met Johnny at Boardwalk Bar and despite his Nikes, Indians shirt, and mega-short corporate haircut...he was still Switchblade which was good to know. 

We had a few drinks, declared their jukebox "awesome", and went to see the Breeders. He was double fisting Black Labels and I was as giddy as a teenager. Highlights: Saints, Divine Hammer, Bang On, Tipp City, Pacer, Cannonball, seeing an old bestie...and when Kelly Deal couldn't BELIEVE I would take her picture after she FORGOT to plug in her GUITAR for the LEAD! Forgetting to plug in your guitar doesn't make me love you any less, you hot mess.



FRIDAY

Friday, I woke up with a raging sore throat, a fever, and a generally bad disposition. I didn't want to spend my entire day off in bed...but I did.  I watched some Grey's Anatomy and napped on and off. I didn't make it out to see The Dancin' Outlaw or the Lords show. I heard Jesco White was ridiculous and not in a good way. I'm glad I saved the 15 bucks. But I'm sad I missed the Lords 20th. I've been a super fan for years but illness trumps rockin' out these days. I DO need to make it a point to see Wolfboy Slim. I hear he's rad and very Hasil Atkins-esque. Bottom line, Friday = wash.

SATURDAY

The day is a blur but the night is crystal. I went to the benefit for Brother Ed solo and though lung cancer is beyond sucko, seeing my friends was just what I needed. I have the coolest friends. No one can tell me otherwise. And if you try, I'll punch you in the brain.

I had successfully avoided seeing Madison Crawl for many years. They're good at what they do but aren't for me. Background noise. It was a pleasant surprise to get to see the Lords though. And the Horror of 59 reunion was probably the best set I've ever seen them do. Rad. Cult of the Psychic Fetus? Mind blowing per usual, and I'm not just saying that since Alex Murder has decided we're twins without common parents. That makes it creepy. Creepy makes it awesome.

And speaking of Alex Murder, he did a great job in helping organize the whole event. Word on the street is that $7000 was raised to help out Brother Ed and his family.  Money doesn't cure cancer but it sure helps. It was good to see him at the show. And if I didn't know he had lung cancer, I would know he had lung cancer. He's totally committed to kicking cancer and the Devil in the balls and everyone who was there is behind him.

SUNDAY

Sunday, Todd and I had the day to ourselves and we made the most of it. It was one of those unplanned, spur of the moment, fly by the seat of your pants kind of days. We hit Winking Lizard for lunch on the patio and plenty of chit-chat and then decided to see "Machete".  We had time to kill so we hit happy hour where I discovered Pinnacle Whipped. Yep,  "Immitation Whipped Cream flavored Vodka". Yowza. The movie was everything I could have asked for, best flick I've seen since "Inglorious Basterds". We decided to go BACK to happy hour afterwards and had a low-key blast while the race was on. None of the day was planned but it was all aces. Home. Bed. Done.

MONDAY

Labor Day means grilling out. Period. Which we did with my family at my sister's house. Again, low-key and cool. At home, we polished off our day watching our My Name Is Earl boxsets from the beginning and playing Rummy and Yahtzee on our living room floor with the dogs. That's how a week day holiday should be. The epitomy of CHILL.

I hope the week learns a thing or two from the weekend and stays cool.

2 comments:

erin said...

jesco was exactly what you'd expect him to be, so it was no disappointment. IT RULED!

Sharky Marie P.G. said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I had just heard from a few others that they didn't get the big deal. It would've been fun to see but for $15 (at least for me), it better be a JUMBO DEAL!