Thursday, January 05, 2006

Step on a crack. Break your mama's back.

We have picked a date for Niagara Falls! Here we come, Fun Street!

As I am typing this, I am standing upright. No chair for me and it's not because I'm too cool for one. I hurt my back and for the next five days, I am allowed to stand or stay horizontal. I am allowed to alternate ice packs and heating pads. I am allowed to take a pain killer/swelling reducer combo as well as a muscle relaxer that unscrews my head from it's foundation. I am allowed to eat with the medication and have chosen Chocco-Lunch that Phoebe bought me. I am NOT allowed to work until Monday. I am also NOT CAPABLE of showering because I can't get my clothes on or off without assistance. And I CAN'T stop myself from crying every few hours when the meds where off. And I can't drive which is the worst of all. No cruisin' and listening to Micheal Stanley Band and Joe Jackson for me!

Next week I can look forward to a re-evalutation, X-Rays and the answer as to whether or not physical therapy is in my future. I'm pretty bummed despite my goofy (and medicated) exterior. This is my BACK. That is a scary thing. Something near my spine has slipped out of place and it's really quite frightening. And I'm losing two days of pay which REALLY freaks me out with my property taxes being due and all. My body hates me. This is just another thing to add to the long list of bodily/physical complaints. I don't want a lifetime of back problems. I'm really sad and I don't think anyone is taking my sadness seriously because I currently sound like that one Muppet that played the saxophone in the Electric Mayhem.

Being crippled does make people admit they miss you, which is nice. And it also causes them to suggest you make a list of whatever you need them to do to make you feel better. Making that list will give me something to do over my long, lonely, uncomfortable weekend, fo' sho'. I am all in "cheese sandwhich" again. I am smiling through the pain...unless I'm crying through it.

No comments: